Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Seven-Layer Rigatoni

Not the best picture in the world...but you get the idea!



3 cups uncooked rigatoni pasta
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained (I will drain them next time)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I used garlic powder)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (3 cups) (I didn't include these)
1 jar roasted red bell peppers, drained, chopped (I forgot these at the store)
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (I used grated)
2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1.  Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray 13x9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.  Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.

2.  Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain.  In small bowl, mix tomatoes, garlic and basil.

3.  In baking dish, layer half each of the pasta, sausage, mushrooms, bell peppers, Parmesan cheese, tomato mixture and mozzarella cheese.  Repeat layers.

4.  Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes or until hot and cheese is golden brown. 

*I added a jar of pizza sauce since there really wasn't a lot of "juice" to bake everything in.  I should have drained the tomatoes...that was just really runny and didn't do much.  As you can tell also, I omitted a lot of the veggies in hopes my kids would eat it. 

0 comments: